Re: base soil

Hi folks,
Though we call it neutral, a soil pH of 7.0 is not desirable for most
plants. Acidity and basicity determine the availability of nutrients
(relates to how the chemicals bind or repel) to the plants we are growing. A
soil ph of between 5.5 and 6.5 is preferred. This ensures that the macro
nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) can be accessed, and that the
others (micro)are not deficient or toxic. Sulfur can be added, it is
organic. Peat is good, but pricey if you are doing a large area, and it
won't significantly reduce the pH. Another option that I really like is
mulching heavily with pine needles, if they are available. Best of luck,
Lisa in Mpls.