dust to dust and the between times

  • Subject: [cg] dust to dust and the between times
  • From: Fred Conrad fred.conrad@acfb.org
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:41:46 -0500

say,
i'm just sharing.  i've got two projects this spring - don't know about the
rest of the continent, but in Atlanta, it's spring - that are compelling
enough to make me want to type about them.  both of these are community
gardens that were sort of high-end for our city, they each were spacious and
had tool sheds and fences and plumbing.  and they both dropped dead about
four years ago.  but now both of them have new chance at life, new people
with new desire and enthusiasm.  and i've got to tell you, what a different
experience it is unearthing an old vegetable garden and rototilling rich
healthy soil as apposed to my usual grind of beating myself senseless
against vacant-lot rubble and clay.

anyway, i just thought it was interesting that the swirling masses of people
living their lives around these old ruins would suddenly and simultaneously
alight upon them.

Fred Conrad
Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson Street, Atlanta, GA 30318
ph: 404.892.FEED ext 216 fx: 404.892.4026
fred.conrad@acfb.org    www.acfb.org
Our mission is to fight hunger by engaging, educating and empowering our
community.