adapting crops to cultural cuisine

  • Subject: [cg] adapting crops to cultural cuisine
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:58:47 -0500

We are developing a training on food growing and nutrition in a primarily Puerto Rican neighborhood. We are seeking to find the balance between culturally appropriate foods and what actually grows in this climate. Thus, we're looking for recipes and stories around adapting crops to cultural cuisine, specifically Puerto Rican cuisine. Of course, respecting tradition is paramount, and we're not seeking to force change. Our intention is to raise health awareness via nutrition education connected with gardening, and obviously need to introduce some vegetables that people may not be familiar with.

Any help is welcome.

Happy gardening!

Paco Verin
Citywide Project Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 N. 20th St.
Philadelphia, PA  19103