one more reason to go to ACGA's conference

  • Subject: [cg] one more reason to go to ACGA's conference
  • From: Don Boekelheide <dboekelheide@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:59:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Just went to a gardening symposium yesterday and saw
slides of Julie Moir Messervy's Music Garden in
Toronto, done with YoYo Ma. Wow! In a way it is a
community garden, the designer says, because people in
the apartments next door come down to help tend it.

There is a performing space. Ms. Messervy really liked
the idea of having that ACGA concert that gets talked
about from time to time in the music garden, where
there are two performing spaces. (Little known fact,
our own Adam Honigman, clarinetist, once played with
YoYo Ma...). The garden is based on Bach's Cello Suite
No.1, in 6 movements. 6 of us want to take a movement
and, in the Baroque style, transcribe it for our own
instruments, then play it in the garden?

Anyway, I saw slides, and hear there is a TV show
based on this and 5 other collaborations Mr. Ma did,
inspired by the Bach Suites. Certainly made me want to
go to Toronto, just to see it.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC