Call for presentations deadline extended

  • Subject: [cg] Call for presentations deadline extended
  • From: Laura Berman <laura@foodshare.net>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:14:30 -0500

Greetings gardeners,

Thank you to all who have submitted a proposal for workshops at the 2004
ACGA conference. Please don't gnash your teeth at this next announcement:

The DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO MARCH 31ST.

I've enclosed & attached the Call for Presentations in the hopes that you or
someone you know will be interested in submitting a proposal to us.

It can also be downloaded as a Word doc, or a PDF in both English and
Spanish at <http://www.communitygarden.org/conf/index.html#call>

Presentations should be reflective of our theme ³Gardens of Diversity,
Growing Across Cultures². More information on who should submit a proposal
and the topic themes are included in the form.

If you don't think you want to try your hand at giving a workshop by
yourself, consider putting together a panel; or pass this on to someone who
you think would like to submit a proposal.

For more up to the minute information about the conference regularly check
in to
<http://www.communitygarden.org/conf/index.html>

Cheers,

Laura Berman
FoodShare Toronto

@    @   @   @   @
\|/  \|/  \|/  \|/  \|/
""""""""""""""""""""""

Please feel free to pass this on to anyone you think might be interested in
presenting or attending.

_________________________

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

25th Annual Conference

³Gardens of Diversity, Growing Across Cultures²
Friday October 1 - Sunday October 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario

 Proposal Deadline: Postmarked by Wednesday March 31,  2004

 -----------------------------
 About the ACGA and Our Annual Conference

The American Community Gardening Association (ACGA) is a non-profit
organization of professionals and volunteers who seek to promote community
gardening and greening to improve the quality of life.

 Each year, our conference gathers people from all over North America and
other parts of the world who are engaged in all aspects of gardening and
greening activities.  This conference offers a unique opportunity to share
challenges and solutions and to learn from each other.  The conference
includes panel discussions, keynote speakers, hands-on workshops, and visits
to botanical sites and community gardens.

 This year¹s conference theme, ³Gardens of Diversity, Growing Across
Cultures² is especially significant for Toronto, one of the world¹s most
diverse cities. Join us in celebrating that diversity as we honour the
ACGA¹s  25 years of promoting community gardening. Your contribution will
help to create a future in which every community blooms!

 For additional conference information visit our website at
www.communitygarden.org <http://www.communitygarden.org/>

------------------

Presentation Description & Submission

* Fill out the enclosed form and
* Attach an outline or description of 250 words or less of your proposed
presentation, including main points and goals.
* Include a short bio or resume.
* If your proposal is accepted your description/outline will be included in
an edited form in the Annual Conference Brochure.
* Electronic (Email) submissions are preferred.

-----------------

Who Should Submit Proposals

Though we would prefer otherwise, please note that the ACGA is unable to pay
presenters for their time and in fact, all presenters are required to pay
their own conference registration, accommodation and travel fees.

* Community gardeners
* Open space advocates, landscape designers/architects/ arborists/
contractors
* Community Organizers
* Urban policy makers/ planners
* Academics and researchers
* Horticulturists, Environmental Educators, Teachers, Horticultural
Therapists
* Program personnel aiding in conservation, youth development, leadership or
municipal partnerships
* Youth (ages 14-24): we are committed to involving youth in all aspects of
this conference and welcome youth as presenters.

--------------

Presentation Format

Preferred presentation length is approximately 1 hour. Please note if your
presentation requires a longer session (up to 2 hours). Presentations may be
in a variety of formats:, workshop, discussion, panel/team, or lecture.

 --------------

Evaluation of Proposals

Proposals will be evaluated by the conference program committee. Generally,
the strongest sessions are those that draw on both personal experience and
understanding of the problems and experiences of garden programs.

-------------

 Themes

The conference program will be organized around general themes, which
include but are not limited to the following.  Please keep in mind the
conference theme of diversity:

·   Community Development: building inclusion, working with volunteers,
community kitchens, community arts projects, etc.

 ·  Conservation and Restoration: native plant and habitat restoration,
heritage seeds and breeds

 ·  Diversity: people, plants, programs, biodiversity, ethnobotany

 ·  Entrepreneurial projects: youth/community economic development, etc.

 ·  Food Security: food policy Issues farmer¹s markets, urban agriculture,
CSA¹s community shared agriculture, global and local economics.

 ·  Horticulture: gardening ³how-to¹s², composting, organics, pest control,
soils, toxicity issues, innovations, ancient traditions, international
learnings

·  Innovations: rooftops, new programs, traditional knowledge, climate
adaptations, forest gardening ? you tell us

 ·  International activities: community gardening activity around the world

 ·  Politics and Public Policy: shaping public policy on community
gardening, working with municipal leaders and municipal staff etc.

 ·  Professional and Organizational Development: community garden start-up,
sustainability, fundraising, administration, board development, volunteers,
grant writing, working with the media, community organizing

 ·  Research: presentation of any current research projects on community
gardening

 ·  Special Needs: gardens with seniors, disabled, AIDS, prison, homeless,
refugee, psychiatric populations, horticultural therapy, etc.

 ·  Youth, Children, School Gardens:

 ·  Other: please don¹t be limited by what we haven¹t thought of.

--------
Poster Sessions

 There will be a poster/information table session during the conference,
including an area for power point poster sessions of approximately 15
minutes each. If you would like to reserve a table, please write a 200-word
description of project and poster. Please note if power point equipment is
required.

-----------
Questions?

 Please contact:          Lorraine Johnson email: ljohnson@interlog.com

SUBMISSION FORM
25th Annual Conference

American Community Gardening Association

 ³Gardens of Diversity, Growing Across Cultures²
Friday October 1 - Sunday October 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

 Proposal Deadline: Postmarked by Wednesday March 31,  2004

 Please type or print.

 Presenter:

Contact Title:

CO-Presenter or Team name:

Title:

Organizational Affiliation:

Street Address:
City:
State/Province:
Postal code:
Country:

Daytime Phone:
Evening Phone:

E-mail:
Fax:

Please Note:
Much to our regret, we are unable to provide presenters with financial
compensation. All presenters are expected to pay their own conference fees
as well as provide for their own lodging, transportation and meals. Please
do not let this dissuade you from submitting a proposal! Some financial
assistance may be available and this can be discussed with the conference
organizers if your submission is chosen. The local hosts and ACGA board are
doing everything we can to ensure the best and most diverse conference
possible.

·   Number of Presenters___________________________

Please list all other members of the presentation team and their
affiliation. Use additional paper if necessary. Submit a bio or resume for
each presenter (preferably by Email)

·   Are you or is a member of your team a Youth (age 14-24) ?       Y      N

·   Presentation Type:  (Circle One)

 Team            Individual             Panel
Outdoors in community garden (limited)
Other (describe)

·   Approximate Length of Presentation__________________________
Suggested length is between 1 1?2 - 2 hours (60min ­ 120 min) with
consideration for content

·  Audio Visual Needs: (please circle)

Slide Projector               Overhead                  Microphone
Podium
TV/VCR                    Power Point (projector only, not computer)

Other (describe)

·   Miscellaneous Needs:

 Flip Charts (News Print)                     Additional Tables

Demonstration Areas

Other (describe)

------------------

REMEMBER:

·   Attach an outline or description of 250 words or less of your proposed
presentation, including main points and goals.

·   Include a short bio or resume of all presenters.

QUESTIONS?

 Please contact:          Lorraine Johnson email: ljohnson@interlog.com

 Proposals may be sent by mail or email (preferred)
To be postmarked by 5 pm Wednesday March 31, 2004, to:

Laura Berman / Jennifer Volk
Email:  tcgn@foodshare.net
Or by mail to:

FoodShare