Philadelphia Inquirer 3/15 article comments

  • Subject: [cg] Philadelphia Inquirer 3/15 article comments
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:00:59 -0500

Dear Mike Groman,

Yesterday, St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden, as guests of KYW 1060 and the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society had a memorable day at the Flower Show. Everyone connected with the "Flower Show Friday" promotion treated us with courtesy and respect.

Imagine my surprise, therefore, when I picked up today's copy of the Philadelphia Inquirer and read the article "Philadelphia Green will use the $1 million raised at the Flower Show to help clear and reclaim blighted land" in which you suggest to the reporter that "community gardens are nice, but require too much attention."

When St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden was founded in 1991 through the final years of the Harvest Show when we consistently won the Community Garden Sweepstakes Award, we always appreciated the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society's attention. Like most community gardens in the Philadelphia region, we are struggling to find new sources of recognition, finances and technical assistance since political fears of the power of community organizing prompted PHS to divert Philadelphia Green's finances and attention to its current programs and funding levels. I had hoped that events such as "Flower Show Friday" meant that although community gardeners and Pennsylvania Horticultural Society no longer work closely together, we could at least still respect each other's efforts.

Telling the media that "community gardens are nice, but require too much attention" is unnecessarily destructive in this time of meager funding sources for all non-profits. Considering that sociological research continues to suggest that community gardening is a useful and productive activity for society, please consider it as a professional courtesy not to denigrate the life's work of your former colleagues when your comments will be noted in public.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden

A mission of

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org