Honest Talk About NYC Parks Groups

  • Subject: [cg] Honest Talk About NYC Parks Groups
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:20:42 EST

I am so sorry you viewed a little honest talk about the Parks Foundation, and the recent actions of the commissioner as an attack.  Alas, sometimes the Emperor has no clothes. Gardeners,  alas call a spade a spade. We even use them, instead of sitting in offices and formulating policy castles in the sky, expecting the grateful masses of grass roots volunteers who take up the slack in our dreadfully underfunded Parks, Gardens and Recreation Centers, to say "Huzzah!

The Parks Foundation, alas, has not been particularly effective at motivating rank and file volunteers, and unfortunately that also goes for the Partnership for Parks crew as well, who are good at sittig at tables at conferences, occasionally distributing bulbs paid for by others and passing out t-shirts and buttons with your logos on them.

Parks funding is still at 3 tenths of 1 percent of the NYC budget in this city, and I have yet to see either the Parks Foundation or Partnerships do anything that has gotten rank and filers, the ones who advocate to get their elected to allocate more money to parks and to actually hire people to do the work that needs to be done in places that are NOT Central Prks.  Now mind you, hiring blue collar people, who do real work, clean out public restrooms, pass out baskeballs, repair benches might be unfashionable non University educated persons of color, but would fix our benches, make our parks safer and more beautiful. Useful work.

Reality hurts.  And I'm sorry that my frankness about what you all do, and the actions of our commissioner and Parks Dept  upset you. My apologies

Adam Honigman