Garden plot size

Jason wrote:
Can anyone share what the optimal individual plot size is for a community garden? We have 22 acres to work with but I'm hoping to designate an appropriate plot size (length and width) in feet prior to allocating plots.

Because we have the space, we used the National Gardening Association recommendation of 25 foot square plots because that's the size they recommend to feed a family of four. To accommodate the folks that really love to grow things, we allow gardeners to have as many plots as they can handle once they have gardened with us for 2 years. This "weeds out" the folks that think they want to grow, but encourages those who really do love growing to earn the space they can use.

The most brilliant thing when designing the garden was a total accident -- I needed a place to put our herbs and other perennials from our old site, so I simply placed them in their own plot that takes up the center of the garden. I had no idea this was so brilliant, but from a "preserve your soil's fauna" and "provide habitat for pollinators," I could not have done a better job if I had planned on it! ;-D

It makes a HUGE difference in pollination if you have a steady supply of blooms for your pollinators to feed on when the garden veggies are not yet flowering. Apple mint is practically worthless for humans (IMHO), but allowing it to flower kept our pollinators and beneficial insects alive during droughts like no other plants. So, I would strongly suggest have a common herb/pollinator-friendly plant area when you design the garden.

Since you've got so much space, printing out everyone's suggestions here and in the archives, then having a potluck to go over the ideas and generate those of your own folks for your proposed garden will probably both generate interest and commitment to keep your garden going for the long run.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden

A mission of

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org