RE: composting

  • Subject: [cg] RE: composting
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:24:21 -0600

Hi - a couple of suggestions about large-scale composting, and I know that others will be able to offer more and better researched ideas. Consider more than one compost area where the bins can be reached easily by most gardeners. Try a 3-bin system; one for fresh, second for half-baked, third for finishing. Put fresh materials in the first bin, then flip this into the next bin, and so on. The bins can be fairly big -each of mine were 5x5x5 (feet) but you could go larger. We used cedar, but I think that cinder blocks could be a good material. The walls can be taken apart to really move the pile, and they are fairly cheap and long-lasting. Don't scrimp on the water, allow for some shade, and layer in other compost helping materials (manure, etc.).

Best - Lisa in Mpls

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! ______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden