Off Topic: Adam Honigman - Gardener, Jets Fan, Against the Stadium

  • Subject: [cg] Off Topic: Adam Honigman - Gardener, Jets Fan, Against the Stadium
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:45:47 EST

Friends,

This is off topic for community gardens, and parks,  but not really - because the more you get involved in gardens, city planning and the just use of precious land resources in your municipality, you can't keep from getting involved when the powers that be are engaged in an act of gross stupidity and social inequity in the use of the people's resources.

The Cliff Notes Version:

The Jacob Javits convention center in Manhattan's  West 30's and 40s (Javits Center)  needs to be modernized and extended to make jobs. Originally our local geniuses sited it in midtown Manhattan instead of by the airports, like smart cities like Chicago, so it has not been as sucessful as most of the convention centers in the USA.

But that's water under the bridge.

So it has to be enlarged - and it's a good idea.  But as NYC government loves to shoot itself in the foot, it has decided to go after the fool's gold of an Olympics and a largely publicly funded sports stadium - the kind that doesn't pay back any kind of real dividends to the taxpayers who have to fund the capital funding via bond issues - for more details read this from the Hell's Kitchen/Hudson Yards Alliance (Why the Jets Stadium is Dumb).

So why, in NYC,  where we are trying to rebuild the World Trade Center after 9/11, trying come back from a recession that is lingering here longer than in the rest of the country, where we are closing firehouses because we are broke, where many of our school children still read from text books that say that Gorbachev and the Communists are still in power in the USSR, is Mayor Bloomberg being so stupid, and  NY State Governor Pataki going along with the joke?

This is too funny -  NYC Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff, is having a mid-life crisis.

Yes, Deputy Mayor Doctoroff is a rich, smart, guy who is a dollar a year man for Mayor Bloomberg and has done a few really bright things for the city has a dream. He has brought the city's real extate community into his dream, which is to extend the Javits center - a good idea, but to add a Jets/Olympic stadium, and the equivalient of SEVEN WORLD TRADE CENTERS IN OFFICE SPACE.

Friends, as one who worked in the WTC in the 90s, I can tell you that it was largely filled with NY State offices for a long time - think of the NY State Lottery on the 95th floor with 100 mile views - because they couldn't fully rent it until the end.  Now they want to build Seven of them in Midtown Manhattan.

Pure Greed and Stupidity. Like Lemmings running off of a cliff........

Now on Davidoff's dream.

An Olympic dream called, NY2012 - (NYC2012)

You see, is having a mid-life crisis. Most men who have mid-life crises go after inappropriately young male or female romantic partners, dye their hair, buy a racy car or a boat if they have the dough. OK - you only get to be a middle aged fool once. If they spend their own dough, what harm is there in that?

But NYC Deputy Dan Mayor Doctoroff is DIFFERENT.  NYC Deputy Dan Mayor Doctoroff wants and OLYMPICS to ring his bell and to make his appendage tumescent, AND EXPECTS US TO PAY FOR IT!

Sorry Dan - get yourself a boy, girl, car, yacht or tropical fish collection - and pay for it yourself, but don't expect the people of NYC, who have suffered cuts in fire protection, and whose public schools are a disaster to fit the bill for your mid-life crisis.

Now: It is possible to be a Jets football fan and to be against the proposed, ruinous  West Side Stadium.   Our neighborhood does want a Javit's expansion for jobs and business, but the stadium is ludicrous in Midtown - Where can you tailgate?

Here is a picture of a Jets fan who is against the stadium.

Aviso: This large man is wearing the Jets Jersey over his winter coat, so he's not quite that big.
No Jets Stadium

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Vounteer,  Clinton Community Garden