Re: Calling Adam! CG'ing in NYC

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Calling Adam! CG'ing in NYC
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:28:14 EST

Well, it's 4 o'clock in the afternoon - I'm home with the flu and it's
snowing heavily outside, grateful to have a roof over my head, drinking tea and
coughing up nasty mung. My fingers seem to be the only part of my body, NOT
aching, so I may as well type until the dogs have to be walked.

Finding a Community Garden in NYC:

1)  If you know where you will be living, you can locate local gardens
through Lenny Librizzi's Oasis community garden locator:

2) If you're going to be in town on March 19th, get thee to the Bronx! This
is a large networking opportunity, where alas, I won't be this year because I'm
working. All of the major community gardening/greening groups will be there
and you can collect phone numbers and e-mails.

Saturday, Mar 19th, 2005
GreenThumb GrowTogether
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Join a thousand community gardeners form all over New York City for a day of
learning, networking and greening inspiration at the 21st Annual GreenThumb
GrowTogether.  There will be a full day of workshops on horticulture, as well as
arts and crafts.  Check-in begins at 9 AM, and breakfast will be served from
9 AM to 9:45 AM.

Those who pre-register are guaranteed a free lunch and t-shirt.  If you do
not pre-register you will not receive a lunch or t-shirt. Please call the
GreenThumb office by March 2nd at (212) 788-8070 if you would like to register for
this event.
Hostos Community College - 149th Street & Grand Concourse. Take the 2,4,5
trains to the 149th Street stop, or the Bx1or Bx19 buses to Grand Concourse

3) Please feel free to visit the Clinton Community Garden, on West 48th
Street, between 9th & 10th Avenues. There are always volunteers around on  the
weekends, when we keep the gates open, but whenever you come by, if there is a
keyholder inside the garden, they are obliged to let you in. The Clinton
Community Garden's gate protects, but does not exclude. If you are going to live or
work within our catchment area - 59th -34th, from the West Side of 8th Avenue to
the Hudson River, you can get a key to the garden.

Our website :http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/ .

4) Here is the website of the Green Guerillas - you can try hooking up with
some local gardens through them: http://www.greenguerillas.org/

5) This is the NY Restoration Project that manages a number of Community

6) The Trust for Public Land manages a number of community gardens,
transferring a large number to a land trust. Please contact Joane Morse at the Trust
for Public Land for more details:

7) In addition to our community gardens, there are a plethora of volunteer
gardening opportunities throughout the city, largely because NYC only funds it's
park system at 3/10ths of one percent of it's total budget. Comparing "apples
to apples," as it were, Chicago funds it's Park System through Cook County at
4% of the total budget. New Yorkers for Parks ( formerly the Parks Council)
is working to organize neighborhood activists to push our city's  elected
officials to fund our parks at a minimum of 1% of our budget.  The Parks budget
having been cut to the bone, welfare recipient are put to work doing cleaning,
raking, and performing rountine park tasks in the place of a vastly depleted
work force. Understand, this is for a Parks Dept that serves over eight million

So - We have a defacto three tier parks system in NYC:
1) The splendid revival of Central, Bryant and Madison Square Parks has been
funded in large part by private conservancies, and business improvement
districts. There are great volunteer gardening opportunities through the Central
Park Conservancy and you might consider working with them in lieu of community
gardening. You can find out more about these opportunites through the Central
Parks Conservancy: http://www.centralparknyc.org/
You'll see a silly piece on the "Gates", the Cristo "art work" on the site -
go past that to "job and volunteer opportunites.

2) There are neighborhood parks throughout the Parks system that are
maintained by neighborhood volunteers who, through political action, get extra funding
through their local politicians and use the Partnerships for Parks for
organizing tips: http://www.itsmypark.org/

3) Then there are the NYC Parks that haven't been touched, really, since
Robert Moses' workmen left them 50 years ago. Unfortunately, these parks are in
some of the most financially depressed areas of the city, where residents are
more involved in subsistance. If you move into one of these areas, and you have
the energy and will, setting up a local group to clean up and beautify the
park will be hard, but very, very rewarding.

NOTE: This is not the park's dept's fault, but the fact that for our elected
officials, our parks are not worth supporting to the degree that they should
be, out of plenary funds. Neighborhood activists get their local City
Councilpersons to fund the renovation of Parks, but up-keep, staffing and programming
are problematic, and need to be constantly advocated for.

Where Credit is Due: Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe does an amazing job,
marshalling  the resources he has, getting private contributions, getting funds
from one-shot governmental sources and I sometimes believe, the air to keep
our system going. And he's been a great supporter of community gardens through
the Green Thumb program.

TREE PITS: On the block where you will live, there will be street trees that
will need help. With the local block association, or property owners, building
superintendants, neighbors, you can help create gates around the perimeters
to keep the dogs out, and to plant shade plants, impatiens, in built up pits,
while making sure that you leave air and space for the crown of the tree roots,
so the tree doesn't rot.

OK, my dogs have their legs crossed, so it's out into the snow for me, and
then back under covers with this bug. Any more questions, please contace me

Adam Honigman