Re: FRom community garden to farmers market?

  • Subject: [cg] Re: FRom community garden to farmers market?
  • From: "Bill Maynard" bMaynard@WoodRodgers.com
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:15:52 -0800

We are in the process of setting up a farmers Market from large vacant parcels
(acre) in the area in the sacramento area as we cant get a farmers market to
come to the low income area and no chain grocery stores exist in the area for
good produce.  We had an application process and interviewed perspective
growers mostly hmong families form local community gardens that want larger
areas to farmer (average = acre each)  We will decide as a group what is grown
; families get most of the proceeds. But some funds will be put back into the

We will also be asking 4 local farmers that are not currently selling at a
farmers market to also join our project. To furnish items like fruit as we
wont be planting fruit trees.

We will be selling at a city park community center in the parking lot. This
will eliminate the need for many permits etc.

Other wise one would need a fire dept permit for booths, the need for
restrooms, etc.. the city facility does not have to acquire many of these
items as they already exist.  Each farmer must be certified at the county ag.
Dept (California) that about $20 and a one time site fee of $150.  if backyard
produce is used or given to sell at the market.. that growers must also have
the $20 inspection / certification permit as well.

Also Our parks and rec dept does not allow the sale of produce grown on any
city owned land or city owned community garden. So check if that restriction
is on your community garden ground or owner lease condition.

Scheduled opening date is june 2005.... I will keep you posted

Bill Maynard