RE: oops - more on "Earthboxes" - pro/con

  • Subject: RE: [cg] oops - more on "Earthboxes" - pro/con
  • From: "Garth" gtaylor@mcic.org
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:17:31 -0600

We used them inside a greenhouse to grow early season tomatoes and cukes.
They worked fine. The soil heats up faster than the ground inside the
greenhouse, so you get better production this way.

We've used them outside to grow sweet peppers when we have more plants than
places to put them. They work extremely well for peppers. But they are too
big and too heavy to move around.
We've also used them outdoors for strawberries, crosnes, and Japanese
horseradish. None of these worked well and we will not use them for this
again -- I suspect the soil stayed too wet, or got too hot.

Garth Taylor
Harbert, Michigan (zone 6)