Composting idea

  • Subject: [cg] Composting idea
  • From: "CarlHenn" CarlHenn@comcast.net
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:00:05 -0500

We are starting a community garden in Rockville, Maryland and are kicking
around ideas about composting.  One idea is to put in a chain link fence bin
big enough to dump a garbage truck load of leaves into.  Our city pays $36
dollars a ton to get rid of yard waste.  If a garbage truck carries 20 cubic
yards and a cubic yard weighs 500 pounds, one truck load would cost $180 to
get rid of.  We could save them that amount and get free compostable leaves
and grass clippings.  20 cubic yards should fit in  a bin 10 by 15 by 5 feet
high, big enough to back the truck into and dump the yard waste.

This is all based on internet research rather than experience.  Has anyone
tried something like this?  Any words of wisdom to share?

Carl Henn