The Community Garden Sustainability Playbook in Action

  • Subject: [cg] The Community Garden Sustainability Playbook in Action
  • From: adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:38:15 -0500

 Friends,

The St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden and Labyrinth
community garden  in Pennsylvania that has had to fight to keep its land, to
keep developers from building on it.

 Dorene Pasekoff , the garden's coordinator  has been following the community
garden sustainability playbook of creating partnerships with local churches,
schools, businesses and keeps, with a great crew of volunteers, an  attractive
facility going so people who pass by, who have no direct relationship with the
feel good when they see it.

In other words, creating win-win relationships between the garden and its
surrounding community.

Key to the garden's survival is  that the garden is  very nice to visitors.
And they keep a file of letters from visitors, funders to show decision makers
who know that the garden is sited on valuable real estate.

The attached message is local, but the range of activities engaged in, by the
garden gives a good example of what sucessful, sustainable garden has to do to
keep the wolves from the door,

Regards,
Adam Honigman