hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Subject: Re: Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Subject: Re: Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:10:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Sharon,

As Adam mentioned, there are indeed historic community
gardens in Old Salem, a reconstruction a bit like
Colonial Williamsburg, in fact, but based on
Bethabara, a Moravian settlement from the mid-1700s.
They actually began their settlement with two
community gardens tended by the group, one for
veggies, the other for medicinal herbs.

Currently, however, I'm not aware of any community
gardens in the 'ACGA' sense in Forsyth County, though
that may just be my own ignorance. There is quite a
bit going on, and excellent resources, in neighboring
Guillford County and the city of Greensboro (as you
probably  know, Greensboro, Winston-Salem and
Highpoint together comprise an 'urban unit' called The
Triad).

I'd try Forsyth County Extension and Community
Association in Forsyth County contact person Dorothy
Stobbs, Family and Consumer Education Secretary,
(336)767-8213 for starters. You might also find
something going on at Wake Forest University.

In Guilford County, I'd start with Karen Neill
Extension Agent, Agriculture - Urban Horticulture
http://www.guilfordgardenanswers.org
(336) 375-5876

She can put you in touch with the Master Gardeners who
have sparkplugged creation of a large community garden
behind the Extension Center, open to the entire
community, with individual plots and a common area.
It's great!

Also, in Greensboro is North Carolina Agricultural and
Technical University, NC's traditionally Black land
grant school. There, Kieth Baldwin, Bob Williamson,
Ellen Smoak and other very good folks are working on
community gardening. Kieth just lead a statewide
community gardening training -
http://www.ag.ncat.edu/agedispatch/archives/2006/02/plotting_soils.html;

He's a wealth of information, kbaldwin@ncat.edu.

At least that's a start. North Carolina is making
progress in community gardening, with especially fine
programs in Durham (Seeds and Dig). Let us know what
you find (or organize) in Winston-Salem.

Good luck!

Don Boekelheide
Urban Ministry Center Gardenworks
Charlotte, NC

--- community_garden-admin@mallorn.com wrote:

> 
> Send community_garden mailing list submissions to
> 	community_garden@mallorn.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the web, visit
> 
>
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body
> 'help' to
> 	community_garden-request@mallorn.com
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	community_garden-admin@mallorn.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it
> is more specific than
> "Re: Contents of community_garden digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens (Sharon
> Gordon)
>   2. Re: Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens
> (adam36055@aol.com)
>   3. Old Salem - Oldest US Community Garden
> (adam36055@aol.com)
> 
> --__--__--
> 
> Message: 1
> From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
> To: <community_garden@mallorn.com>
> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:15:24 -0500
> Subject: [cg] Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens
> 
> If there are any community gardens in the
> Winston-Salem area or anywhere in
> Forsyth Co, would people who know about them  or of
> them please send me info
> about them?
> 
> Thank you!
> 
> Hope everyone is seeing some things sprouting in
> their gardens!  Our gardens
> mainly have greens, asian greens, lettuce, onions,
> leeks, garlic, broad
> beans, pansies and daffodils at the moment.
> 
> Sharon
> gordonse@one.net
> 
> 
> --__--__--
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:40:37 -0500
> From: adam36055@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [cg] Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens
> To: gordonse@one.net, community_garden@mallorn.com
> 
> Sharon, 
>  
> Try these in the Winston-Salem area: 
>  
> The Old Salem garden is probably the oldest
> community garden in America. 
>   Bethabara Park
> 2147 Bethabara Road (off University Parkway)
> Winston-Salem, NC 27106
> 910-924-8191 
> A colonial Moravian community vegetable garden,
> nature trails, and restored buildings.
> Old Salem
> 924 S. Main Street
> Winston-Salem, NC 27101-5335
> 910-721-7360
> 
> A community garden in a restored 1766 Moravian
> village featuring vegetables, herbs, and fruit.
>  
> Regards, 
>  
> Adam Honigman
> Hell's Kitchen, NYC 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
> To: community_garden@mallorn.com
> Sent: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:15:24 -0500
> Subject: [cg] Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens
> 
> 
> If there are any community gardens in the
> Winston-Salem area or anywhere in
> Forsyth Co, would people who know about them  or of
> them please send me info
> about them?
> 
> Thank you!
> 
> Hope everyone is seeing some things sprouting in
> their gardens!  Our gardens
> mainly have greens, asian greens, lettuce, onions,
> leeks, garlic, broad
> beans, pansies and daffodils at the moment.
> 
> Sharon
> gordonse@one.net
> 
> 
>
______________________________________________________
> The American Community Gardening Association
> listserve is only one of ACGA's 
> services to community gardeners. To learn more about
> the ACGA and to find out 
> how to join, please go to
> http://www.communitygarden.org
> 
> 
> To post an e-mail to the list: 
> community_garden@mallorn.com
> 
> To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your
> subscription: 
>
https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden
> 
> 
> --__--__--
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:50:21 -0500
> From: adam36055@aol.com
> <8C81D813210BAB6-1FA0-747F@mblk-r17.sysops.aol.com>
> To: community_garden@mallorn.com
> Subject: [cg] Old Salem - Oldest US Community Garden
> 
> Ellen Kirby told me about one of these, I think -
> Old Salem. 
>  
> Adam Honigman
> Hell's Kitchen, NYC 
>  
> Bethabara Park
> 2147 Bethabara Road (off University Parkway)
> Winston-Salem, NC 27106
> 910-924-8191 
> A colonial Moravian community vegetable garden,
> nature trails, and restored buildings.
> Old Salem
> 924 S. Main Street
> Winston-Salem, NC 27101-5335
> 910-721-7360
> 
> A community garden in a restored 1766 Moravain
> village featuring vegetables, herbs, and fruit. 
> 
>  
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adam36055
> To: gordonse@one.net; community_garden@mallorn.com
> Sent: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:40:37 -0500
> Subject: Re: [cg] Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens
> 
> 
> Sharon, 
>  
> Try these in the Winston-Salem area: 
>  
> The Old Salem garden is probably the oldest
> community garden in America. 
>   Bethabara Park
> 2147 Bethabara Road (off University Parkway)
> Winston-Salem, NC 27106
> 910-924-8191 
> A colonial Moravian community vegetable garden,
> nature trails, and restored buildings.
> Old Salem
> 924 S. Main Street
> Winston-Salem, NC 27101-5335
> 910-721-7360
> 
> A community garden in a restored 1766 Moravian
> village featuring vegetables, herbs, and fruit.
>  
> Regards, 
>  
> Adam Honigman
> Hell's Kitchen, NYC 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net>
> To: community_garden@mallorn.com
> Sent: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:15:24 -0500
> Subject: [cg] Winston-Salem/Forsyth Co Gardens
> 
> 
> If there are any community gardens in the
> Winston-Salem area or anywhere in
> Forsyth Co, would people who know about them  or of
> them please send me info
> 
=== message truncated ===


______________________________________________________
The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org


To post an e-mail to the list:  community_garden@mallorn.com

To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription:  https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden





 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index