SFGRO (San Francisco Garden Resource Organization)

  • Subject: [cg] SFGRO (San Francisco Garden Resource Organization)
  • From: SFGRO sfgardenscoordinator@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:14:51 -0800 (PST)

I would like to introduce this community to SFGRO (San Francisco Garden Resource Organization) and share some exciting news about a community garden exhibit project we recently participated in!
  We are a community garden-led organization of volunteers who work to provide resources and empowerment to Community Gardens in San Francisco.  SFGRO is a grassroots organization in its initial stages of growth but has worked steadily to increase the visibility and voice of community gardeners in the City, since its
inception in 2003.
  As a growing organization, we would like to connect and learn more about the work of other citywide organizations doing similar work.  Please drop us a line at director@sfgro.org and visit our website www.sfgro.org.
  In solidarity,
  Jude Koski
  SFGRO Executive Director
  Gro With Us! Email News brought to you by SFGRO (San Francisco Garden Resource Organization)

  SFGRO Garden Show Display Wins GOLD Medal & Environmental Award!
  SFGRO was awarded with a Gold Medal for Garden Creator, 2006 San Francisco
Flower & Garden Show and the American Horticultural Society- Environmental Award 2006 for Best Demonstration of Skillfull Design That Includes Evironmental Stewardship in the Garden!
  Alma Hecht, Designer for the SFGRO exhibit garden and Advisory Board Member comments on winning the awards, "This is thrilling. I am amazed that our humble garden, done with so much heart, was noticed in the face of such opulence. Hopefully, the ideas can be interpreted in many types of settings to provide habitat and happiness again and again."
  SFGRO Executive Director Jude Koski adds, We are honored to accept these awards! The creation of our display garden is a true demonstration of how community gardens work, through leadership and dedicated volunteers. The "Gro With Us!" display is incredibly unique and beautiful, featuring all of the elements of a typical community garden. The San Francisco Flower and Garden Show allows us to howcase the very best of San Francisco community gardens."
  Its a privilege to represent San Francisco community gardeners and to display their talents, sharing the concept of community gardening with those who may not be familiar it's importance in any city. We invite San Francisco residents, who do not have access to outdoor space, contact us to find out how to join neighborhood community gardens.", continues Koski.
  Our exhibit featured many elements common to community gardens, including raised beds for growing vegetables and plants. SF community gardens are organic (no pesticides) and utilize sustainable gardening practices such as water conservation and soil composting - we incorporated a compost bin and beehives at the back of the garden. SF community gardens are open to everyone, including members of the community who are 'differently abled' which is why some of the beds are raised to accommodate wheelchair access.  Many community gardens, are also home to various forms of art - murals, sculptures and in the case of this garden, a bottle tree.  Bottle trees are an African American tradition, brought from Africa, where the colorful bottles are used to keep evil spirits away from the house.

Jude Koski, Executive Director
San Francisco Garden Resource Organization (SFGRO)
PO Box 170396
San Francisco, CA 94117
Phone: 415-235-4292
Fax: 415-504-9756
Email: director@sfgro.org
Website: www.sfgro.org

Our Mission:
SFGRO seeks to meet the needs of community gardeners and to enhance the experience of gardening as a source of beauty, pleasure, food, and community for all San Franciscans.

It's Easy to Donate to SFGRO:
*Support us by shopping @ Cole Hardware- acct. #1705, 10% goes to SFGRO.
*We accept tax-deductible gifts in any amount by check or credit card.  Contact us to request a donation form.

Community Garden Resources:
*Gardening Resources- www.gardenfortheenvironment.org
*City's involvement w/gardens- www.parks.sfgov.org
*SF Beekeeping Association- www.sfbee.org