Re: rabbits - Recipes

  • Subject: Re: [cg] rabbits - Recipes
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:30:29 EST

Sandy,

This sounds like a job for animal control, and if there's someone to  collect
Peter, Flopsy and Mopsy and bring them to some petting zoo, I'm sure  that
we'd all feel better about it. However, in the real world, they're usually
hauled off and killed by the ASPCA, or some feral dogs.

Then there's the intelligent hunter's option.  If you are vegan  or have a
dislike for the hunting of wild game, I certainly have no desire to  offend
you,
You should be aware, however  that hunters have been part of  the food
security effort in rural and semi-rural areas for some time-  local food
pantries
and soup kitchens would be grateful for it. A couple  of recipes below;

Best regards,

Adam Honigman

1) An excellent recipe for Hassenpfeffer - a spicy rabbit stew from Sylvia
Bashline's fabulous Fish and Game Cookbook. Sylvia is a former  food columnist
for Outdoor Life Magazine who has won top honors from the Outdoor  Writers
Association.

2 rabbits cut into serving pieces
3 T _butter_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/butter.html)
1/2 tsp. _salt_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/salt.html)
1 med. _onion_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/onion.html)
4 whole _cloves _
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/clove.html)
12 whole black _peppercorns_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/pepper.html)
1 tsp. chopped _parsley _
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/parsley.html)
1/2 tsp. _thyme_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/thyme.html)
1 _bay  leaf_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/bayleaf.html)
1/4 C lemon juice
1 C _port _ (http://
www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/port.html)
2 1/2 C _beef  stock_ (http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/cstech/stock.html)
 or _bouillion_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/boullion.html)
 (http://www.fabulousfoods.com/shop/prods/bookrev/fishandgame.html)
Serves 5
Stud the peeled onion with the whole cloves. Make a small _bouquet garni_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/ingredients/bouquetgarni.html)
by
tying the peppercorns, parsley,  thyme and bay leaf in a small cheesecloth
pouch. Preheat oven to 3500  F.
Sprinkle rabbit pieces with salt and pepper and _sauti_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/glossary/techniques/saute.html)  in the
butter until brown on
all sides. Place in a  3 quart casserole. Add salt, bouquet garni and studded
onion,  followed by the lemon juice, port and stock or boullion. Cover and
bake  for 1 1/2 hours. Ten minutes before it's done, remove the cheesecloth
bag.
The pan juices can be thickened to _make a  gravy_
(http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/cstech/gravy.html) .
French Rabbit Stew:

       Title: French Rabbit Stew  - Lapin Forestiere
Categories: Wild game, French,  Wine
Yield: 4  servings

1    Rabbit; disjointed
3  T  Butter
1 1/2 ts Salt;  optional
1/2 ts Freshly ground black  pepper
2 T   Flour
1/4 c  Beef  broth
1/2 c  Dry white  wine
4 sl Bacon;  diced
12 sm White  onions
1 cl Garlic; minced (it  really
-needs 2 or 3)
1/2 lb Mushrooms; sliced( I prefer it  with cremini - others with
chanterelles)

Clean,  wash, and dry the rabbit.  Melt the butter in a Dutch oven.
Brown the rabbit in it.  Sprinkle with the salt (optional),  pepper,
and flour, stirring until the flour browns.  Add  the broth and wine;
bring to a boil, cover and cook over low  heat 45 minutes to one hour
or until tender.

While the rabbit is cooking, brown the bacon lightly in a  skillet;
pour off half the fat.  Add the onions; saute  until golden.  Add the
garlic and mushrooms; saute 3  minutes.  Add this mixture to the
rabbit; cook 15 minutes  longer or until the rabbit is tender.

Note:  If mixture seems dry, you can add a little more beef broth  or
wine to the mixture while it is cooking.

 (http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/rabbit.html)

Hi  Community Gardeners,
I am writing to get in touch with your vast knowledge  on dealing with
rabbits (organically of coarse).  Rabbits are not a  native beast here in
the Seattle area but seems those little Easter gifts  have been dropped
at some of our city parks and have now taken residence in  one of our
gardens and are eating my gardeners out of veggies.  Any  strategies you
might have on this issues is much appreciated.

Thanks  for your time,
Sandy Pernitz
Community Garden Coordinator
P-Patch  Program/Dept. of Neighborhoods
"A garden, where one may enter in and forget  the whole world, cannot be
made in a week, nor a month, nor a year; it must  be planned for, waited
for and loved into being."  Chinese  Proverb
Department of Neighborhoods
700 5th Avenue Suite 1700
PO Box  94649
Seattle, WA  98124-4649