Lincoln City, Or: More space for more gardeners at the LincolnCity CG

  • Subject: [cg] Lincoln City, Or: More space for more gardeners at the LincolnCity CG
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:32:02 EST

More space for more gardeners at the Lincoln City  Community Garden

Spring officially began Monday and already work is starting  at the Lincoln
City Community Garden at NW 21st and U.S. Highway 101 in the  Oceanlake
neighborhood. A retaining wall is being built that will nearly triple  the square
footage of garden space available. That means more space for more  gardeners.

JoDana Bright-Taylor, OSU Master Gardener, heads the community  garden and
has been busy behind the scenes for several months. "We have a  terrific
opportunity to expand the garden and open it up for many more people to  participate.
We're very excited about this year's garden and what it will mean  for
Lincoln City."    Started last summer, the garden, though much smaller, was a  big
success. "We had very little time to get things going and actually planted
fairly late in the season," said Bright-Taylor. "Still, I was amazed at how well
the garden grew and the gardeners themselves were thrilled with the  results."

While the expansion of the garden is a great opportunity, it  isn't free.
This all-volunteer project is seeking financial and in-kind  donations to help
cover costs. The group is raising $3,000 to cover the costs of  building raised
beds, a tool shed and message board, as well as other projects  the group has
identified. "We're trying to keep the cost to the gardeners at a  minimum so
there are no financial barriers for those people who might benefit  most."
Individual donations of $25 to $100 will go a long way toward creating a  garden
that the entire community can be proud of.

Bright-Taylor was  appreciative of the community response in 2005.
Individuals and businesses  generously supported the project. Mill's Ace Hardware
donated several urgently  needed tools and North Lincoln Sanitary provided compost
bins. In addition,  local residents provided money, plants, seeds, and labor
throughout the summer.  She's expecting even greater support this year.

"It's not everyday that  people cheer for you, but that happened on a number
of occasions last summer,"  explained Bright-Taylor. "We'd have a dozen people
working in the garden and  passers-by would cheer. That's a pretty clear
indication that you're doing a  something right."

An information and gardener sign-up meeting is  scheduled from 4 p.m. until 6
p.m. Saturday, April 1 at the Lincoln City  Community Center. Those
interested in gardening, participating in, or supporting  the community garden in any
way are encouraged to attend. The garden is open to  all residents of the
Lincoln City area and participants may be individuals,  families, or groups.

Contact Bright-Taylor for more information, you may  contact her via e-mail
at _jodana@charter.net_ (mailto:jodana@charter.net)  or call 994-3188. Checks
may be sent to Lincoln City Community Garden, c/o JoDana Bright-Taylor, 4358
NE  EDLR, Otis, OR 97368.
     _Email this story_
(http://www.newportnewstimes.com/articles/2006/03/22/community/community11.eml)
_Print this story_