[cg] OFF: Dangers of Asbestos (?)

Dear Friends,

Walking through an elementary school over the weekend, I was shocked to see
an open kiln that was insulated with (fluffy and loose) ASBESTOS. I've
heard that asbestos is still approved for use in kiln work, but I doubt
that it's appropriate to have rather large quantities of asbestos in the
open in an area where children play. On the other hand, I hear that the
asbestos 'scare' has died down and was 'overrated.' Does anyone know about
more about this?

Thank you,

-Allan Balliett