needles

Yesterday we found five paper bags stashed in various shrubs at our garden.
Each bag contains ten new hypodermic needles, a small bottle of bleach and
five new condoms.

It led to a debate among the gardeners about leaving them or removing them.
The obvious concerns were the hazards to the gardeners on the one hand and
the hazard to the users on the other.

We often find used needles and place them inside glass bottles before
discarding them.  No needle-sticks so far.  We did make an effort to trim
and remove plants that the junkies would hide behind to shoot-up while we
are there working, but they still come around at night.  Don't want a fence.

Any thoughts?

fgc
Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank