Maintenance standards

  • Subject: [cg] Maintenance standards
  • From: "Jack N. Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 09:37:11 -0400

Hi folks-

We are about to forge a new general agreement with the City of Hartford to cover use of City-owned property for community gardens.  We want to use the process to clarify our relationship with the City, and also to prod gardeners who are sometimes lax about maintaining the appearance and general condition of their gardens.  We obviously don’t want to make the standards so tight and detailed that the only thing that will work is a paved parking lot that gets swept twice a day, but we do want to make them detailed enough so that they will limit opportunities for disagreement over what people are supposed to do.  City codes and ordinances will be some help, but I’m looking for other suggestions.

I figure we need to deal with

-         grass and weeds (height)

-         snow removal from sidewalks

-         litter pick-up

-         structures/fences

-         storage of materials on site

-         garden waste/composting

I sure would appreciate your thoughts.

We are supposed to put this to bed next Wednesday morning

Thanks.

Jack Hale