RE: Maintenance standards

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Maintenance standards
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 10:51:22 -0400

Please send me your fax and regular mail addresses so I can send you the
Clinton Community Garden licensing agreement with Parks which has certain
guidelines that might be useful.

Also, the  rules and regulations button on our website may be helpful:

What seems to keep us on the stick is that we have 2,000 keyholders to keep
pleased, keep safe, keep as believers in our right to exist as a garden in
midtown Manhattan. Our 150' x100' space is on prime Manhattan real estate
now ( worth between $5 - 10 million)and each "Ooh and Aah" that we get from
passers helps us justify our existence.

We're fortunate in having  20 - 50 hardcore volunteers ( in addition to our
108 back gardeners) who re-seed and mow the lawn, compete with each other (
in a subtle way) on whose front bed plots are more attractive, supply more
visual interest in more seasons. If one gardener weeds and re-sands the
brick path in front of her flower bed, the others follow. The idea is to
create a sort of espirit de corps about the business.

We have all of our volunteer jobs laid out including the unpopular ones
(e.g.  I'm Wednesday & Thursday lock up, Wed. night garbage man,  a job that
really sucks in August with the yellow jackets and the used diapers jostling
around in the  "Hefties" as I haul them out to the street.) With snow
shovelling, we're so paranoid about folks falling and suing ( despite the
fact that we have insurance) that our walk is shovelled before the buildings
around us and far better than any NYC Park.

I don't know if this is duplicable, but the idea is that we have this sense
of duty, reinforced by the idea that we're always accountable to the

Adam Honigman