RE: Fwd: Adaptive Gardening

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Fwd: Adaptive Gardening
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:24:06 -0400

Dear Mr. Tabashneck:

What you are talking about is also called enabled gardening:

Here are some links:

Chicago Botanic Garden Enabled Garden:

http://www.chicagobotanic.org/HortTherapyGardenUpdate.html

horticultural therapy:

American Horticultural Therapy Association: (800) 634-1603; Web site:
www.ahta.org; e-mail: ahta@ahta.org; publication: Journal of Therapeutic
Horticulture.

The Garden Forever site:
http://www.gardenforever.com/

Gardening tools for the handicapped:

http://www.achievableconcepts.com.au/garden.htm

An article on handicapped gardening:

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/yard/1997/011397.html#1

A Bibliography:

"The Able Gardener" by Kathleen Yeomans; Storey Communications, 304 pp.,
$16.95.

"Able to Garden: A Practical Guide for Disabled and Elderly Gardeners"
edited by Peter Please; B.T. Batsford Ltd., 144 pp., $15.99.

"Accessible Gardening for People with Physical Disabilities: A Guide to
Methods, Anything Goes" by Sherry London; Rodale Press, (800) 527-8200.

"Creating Eden: The Garden as a Healing Space" by Dr. Marilyn Barrett;
Harper, 148 pp., $18. Also available on audiotape for $24.95 by calling
(408) 656-9120.

"The Enabling Garden: Creating Barrier-Free Gardens" by Gene Rothert; Taylor
Publishing Co., 150 pp., $13.95. (214) 819-8100.