RE: [sg] Fw: Vandalism at the Edible Schoolyard

  • Subject: [cg] RE: [sg] Fw: Vandalism at the Edible Schoolyard
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:24:34 -0400

David,

We know how it feels. Please let your kids know that they are in the minds and hearts of NYC Community Gardeners...

> Necrology: New York City Community Gardens bulldozed 1984-2000
>

> Manhattan:
>
> Dome Garden, Upper West Side, 1984
> Garden of Eden, Lower East Side, 1986
> Torres Associates, 1996     [East Harlem? ]
> Mayaguez Garden, East Harlem, 1996
> Pentacostal Church of El Maestro, East Harlem, 1996
> Latinos Unidos Borinquen, East Harlem, 1996
> ABC Garden, Lower East Side, 1996
> Pegasus Project Garden, Upper West Side, 1996
> Rivington 6th Street Garden, Lower East Side, 1997
> 2nd Street Garden, Lower East Side, 1997
> Mendez Mural Garden, Lower East Side, 1997
> Maria's Garden, Lower East Side, 1997
> Angels' Garden, Lower East Side, 1997
> Jardín de la 10th Street, Lower East Side, 1997
> Parker Forge/Sunnyside Garden, Lower East Side, 1998
> The Sowers Garden, Harlem, 1998
> Umbrella Garden, Lower East Side, 1999
> Dos Blocos Garden, Lower East Side, 1998
> Magic Children's Garden, Lower East Side, 1998
> PS. 76 Garden of Love, Harlem, 1998
> Souls in Motion, Harlem, 1999
> 130th Street Homeowners, Harlem, 1999
> West 132nd Street Block Association, Harlem, 1999
> Black United Fund, Harlem, 1999
> George W. Brown Memorial Garden, Harlem, 1999
> Five Star Garden, Harlem, 1999
> Striving Together Garden, Harlem, 1999
> American Federation of Police Partnership, Harlem, 1999
> Project Harmony/J.D. Wilson Memorial Garden [portion still exists],
> Harlem,
> 1999
> Garden of the Golden Lions, Harlem, 1999
> West 129th Street Block Association Garden, Harlem, 1999
> Jardín de Esperanza, Lower East Side, 2000
> Jardín Bello Amanecer Borencano [portion still exists], Lower East Side,
> 2000
>

> The Bronx:
>
> Gardeners Partnership, Prospect Beck, 1989
> Tiffany Street Tenants, Kelly Tiffany, 1991
> Way Out Church Ministries, Brook Avenue, 1991
> GreenThumb Garden Club, Hoe Avenue, 1993
> Maria Estella Tenants, Westchester, 1993
> Crotona Community Garden, 1993
> Mapes Avenue Tenants Association, Tremont, 1993
> I.S. 139 Gardening Project, Willis Brook, 1994
> Little Mount Bethel Church, Longfellow, 1995
> North Luba Block Association, Longfellow, 1995
> Bronx Second Chance, Hornaday Vyse, 1996
> Longwood Fox Block Association, 1996
> Pamela Janki Alli Garden, Topping Avenue, 1997
> Bronx Alliance of Block School Educators Garden, Fairmount Mohegan, 1997
> Lares Garden, Melrose Commons, 1998
> The Point Community Farm, Hunts Point, 1999
>

> Brooklyn:
>
> Brooklyn Bears [negotiated/portion returned to gardeners]  [date?]
> Puerto Rican Community Center of Brownsville, Brownsville, 1984
> Satellite en Orbita, Brownsville, 1984
> Sunflower Garden, Williamsburg     [date?]
> Williamsburg Around the Bridge Block Association, Williamsburg, 1986
> Coney Island Gospel Assembly, Coney Island, 1989
> Residents of Blake Avenue, East New York, 1989
> Warwick Street Block Association, Coney Island, 1990
> La Placita Gardens I, Coney Island, 1990
> [...]
Dave,  the only thing that seems to help is to write bags full of letters to electeds, individuals involved in garden distruction, do media pieces, and find a new place to community garden and start over again,

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman