Fish Emulsion

Does anyone out there have information about the safety of using fish
emulsion? We of course are aware that using fish emulsion as a source of
nitrogen is often recommended as an organic practice. However, in light of
information about mercury in seafood and paranoia resulting from the spread
of mad cow disease, we at WCG are thinking that perhaps we should be
concerned about the use of any animal products in organic gardening. Any
comments?

Ginger Ogilvie
Community Gardening Coordinator
Wasatch Community Gardens