Re: community entry

  • Subject: [cg] Re: community entry
  • From: Jen Dodd <jkdodd@ufl.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:32:34 -0400

Hi.
I'm an Americorps volunteer in Gainesville, Florida, and taking on a new role
as community garden activator for a non-profit called Neighborhood Nutrition
Network. I've been doing this for 3 months.
I'd like to assist with establishing neighborhood garden projects, particularly
in low-income areas.

In my experience, the biggest challenge is 'community entry': how to reach the
interested folks in these communities to take part in the work.  I do not want
to offend anyone, but only to offer my assistance where it is welcome, and the
community interest and support is there.

I know many of you have learned some lessons on this topic.

Any suggestions?

jen dodd
Gainesville, Florida
jkdodd@juno.com
VISTA Volunteer, Neighborhood Nutrition Network  P.O. Box 12311  Gainesville, Florida 32604  352.377.6345   352.336.1112    "The future is so bright, we've got to wear straw hats"