Re: More Gardens!

  • Subject: Re: [cg] More Gardens!
  • From: JillWUGS@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:41:31 EDT

That is a good article in the Tennessean. It is commendable that the
Methodists have Thomas Henderson advocating for churches to get involved in
urban agriculture- there is definitely a dichotomy between position
statements of the church and individual actions of local churches. We have
the largest Methodist church in Iowa in our neighborhood. They have taken
houses down to create more parking so their parishioners don't have to walk
far, (and not among those in the neighborhood. Their parishioners are not
from the neighborhood- they are more affluent. The neighborhood is poor.)
They are looking at expanding their facilities (tearing down more houses and
the parking lots will follow.) It is our neighborhood, the people who live
here, who are developing community gardens, native habitats, and a CSA
garden. We make the observation: the churches see vacant land and want to
pave them for parking lots, the neighborhood see vacant land and we want to
put a garden on it, (and we do.)
Thanks to the ACGA and conferences- we have learned about connecting to the
land and renewing our neighborhood through community gardening. We also
learned from NYC, Philly and Portland about permanence of gardens- the
neighborhood association owns our gardens- no one can take them away from us.
I agree, we need more gardens- one at a time. Unfortunately, the churches
haven't been the best stewards to the land, at least in my neighborhood.
---Jill Jones, Wellington Urban Gardeners, Wellington Heights Neighborhood
Assn., Cedar Rapids, Iowa