tobacco mosaic virus

  • Subject: [cg] tobacco mosaic virus
  • From: "Steve Burns" steve888@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:49:57 +0800

Last summer we lost every tomato plant in our comunity garden due to a suspected case of T.M.V.  I don't want to start ANOTHER debate about smoking in gardens! What I don't understand is, why do some seed-saving publications suggest that a bit of tobacco stored in with the seeds can keep them safe from pests (i.e. why doesn't this infect the seeds), and also, why is it okay to grow tobacco plants (don't know the type - they have bright pink flowers) in the garden without the virus coming from them??
Hope someone can help!
Thanks,
from Carey
in Perth, Western Australia