RE: tobacco mosaic virus

  • Subject: RE: [cg] tobacco mosaic virus
  • From: "Ray Schutte" RSchutte@starbucks.com
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:38:13 -0700

I would be interested in knowing the seed-saving publications that suggest using tobacco.    In a quick Internet search I found a lot of literature on saving tobacco seeds, but I did not find any on using tobacco as a means of seed safekeeping.  T.M.V is really quite strong, has a long life span and can be transmitted through tobacco products. Once it infects a plant through an open sore (like an aphid bite) it can spread and hide for sometime.

Check out www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1168.html for information on TMV and its results and http://community.webshots.com/photo/2667681/2679474bkWQckpIpo for a photo of tobacco bloom.

I don’t believe it would be okay to grow Tobacco plants in the garden without increasing the risk of TMV invasion.

Ray Schutte

"The truth of the matter is that the flower has cleverly manipulated the bee into hauling its pollen from blossom to blossom." The Botany of Desire, Michael Pollan