Re: A Mystery green

  • Subject: Re: [cg] A Mystery green
  • From: Don Lambert grower@flash.net
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:31:18 -0500

Sharon,
I would guess Malabar Spinach, Basella alba. Don Lambert

Sharon Gordon wrote:

One of the community gardeners gifted me with some seeds of a favorite
Indian green yesterday.  She doesn't know the word for the green in English,
but it produces a thick green leaf which is eaten like spinach.  The seeds
are grey and lumpy about the size of the small aquarium gravel, and they
look familar like something I might have grown at least once, but not in a
long while.  In the telegu language the green is called batchala with the
second a having a sound somewhere between a short a and short i sound.
Although I know about 20-30 words of telegu, this is not yet one of them.

Anyone have any ideas about English names or have any telegu speaking
friends to ask?

Sharon, reporting in from the international community garden
gordonse@one.net