St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden2003

  • Subject: [cg] St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden2003
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:03:50 -0400

Hi, Folks!

Here's the statistics for St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden for 2003:

All 15 plots were taken on our April 5th Opening Day. Every plot is planted, so we're actually developing a waiting list for 2004! Those 15 plots are worked by 34 plotholders.

Of those plotholders:

13 are children between the ages of 1 year and 14 years (most children are 7 years or younger).

13 plotholders are male (which means that 21 plotholders are female). All but 4 of the male plotholders are either the spouse or the son of a female plotholder.

4 plotholders are disabled.

The oldest plotholder is 74 years old and has been with the garden since it began in 1991.

The ethnic background of both plotholders and volunteers at the community garden tends to be Eastern European-American, Irish-American and/or African-American.

Besides our plotholders, we have the Perennial Area Volunteers (3 adults), Irene Sobotincic who is creating our Formal Herb Garden, Mike Nero from Phoenixville Senior High School participating in the high school's community service learning class through the garden and on Wednesdays and Fridays, a group from the Mitchell Program at St. Gabriel's Hall performing community service. Pepper, our almost-year-old Border Collie has learned, like the Fairview children, to walk on the paths, not in the garden and is running off the deer at 5:00 am each morning.

The garden is now fully equipped with benches and a picnic table under the kiwi pergola so that folks can enjoy the beauty our plotholders and volunteers create each season. If you'd like to help create that beauty, we have the following volunteer times when anyone is welcome to pitch in!

Sundays: 5 pm with Mike Nero
Tuesdays: The Perennial Area Volunteers from 5:30 pm to dusk
Wednesdays: Mitchell Program of St. Gabriel's Hall from 3:45 pm to 5:30 pm
Fridays: Mitchell Program of St. Gabriel's Hall from 3:45 pm to 5:30 pm

Over the winter, the Fairview Housing Project added families with lots of small children, most of whom love to help out at the community garden. Their favorite activities are watering and weeding, so donations of watering cans and/or trowels are always welcome. Irene is also looking for bricks and sand to pave the Formal Herb Garden.]

Thank you so much for your support of St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden this year -- I hope that you'll come visit us either to volunteer at one of the above times or just to relax on the benches and enjoy our 20 varieties of antique roses as they come into bloom.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of