Large Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Large Community Gardens
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:11:32 EDT

Jim Call's  "Casa Garden" is of a very good size, and he does amazing work feeding people in Huntsville, Alabama. One of our garden heroes. If you want to read about what he and many other fine community gardeners are doing throughout the US, go to Amazon, or that huge Barnes & Noble and order, "Grace from the Garden: Changing the World One Garden at a Time" by Deborah Landwehr Engle  - Grace from the Garden . There's a whole chapter on CASA there.

As much as we Manhattanites are used to postage stamp sized gardens, i.e., under a half acre  -the Clinton Community Garden is barely a third of an acre,  Clinton Community Garden , the West Side Community Garden is comparable, out of NYC they can be a decent size - Donald Trump doesn't  live there. Community gardens outside of our strange island of Manhattan can go up there in acreage.  Yes, I mean acreage.

One giant is the University of Wisconsin, Madision which used to have an aerial photograph on its website showing its hundreds of 25' x 25' plots.  http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden/

Interestingly (but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't know about it as many Manhattanites don't ever go out to the boroughs except to go to a ballgame or get planted in one of our cemetaries) is the massive Floyd Bennett Garden Association, located on the site of the old Floyd Bennett Field, now called the "National Park Service at Floyd Bennett Field Gateway National Recreation Center."  In addition to community garden plots, the Floyd Bennett Garden Association recently got a grant from NY State to create habitats, such as a butterfly garden, and provide an educational program using the habitats.

Worth a trip out to Brooklyn, no?

Everbest,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,