Re: insurance

  • Subject: Re: [cg] insurance
  • From: Grow19@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:48:13 EDT

Can we hear from community gardens and/or community garden organizations regarding their insurance situations?
Insurance might be something that ACGA would want to put some effort into again.  Not that fun, but valuable.
Here in Washington, DC, my organization holds a liability policy called "Conserva-nation" (I think), underwritten by CHUBB, handled by agent Jim Meshanko at Franey Muha Alliant.  This is a policy developed by the Land Trust Alliance, headquartered in Washington, DC.  Our policy can include up to 50 acres of land, including community gardens for which we hold the lease.  We cannot extend the coverage to gardens that have independent leases.
Gardens or groups that become members of the Land Trust Alliance ($250) are eligible for this coverage, which has a minimum premium of $650 (so I hear from a new community garden that inquired about it recently).  So this will cost them $900/year.  Crazy!
There are also some gardens here in DC that have policies underwritten by Erie, for approximately $300/year.  The latest word from Erie is that while they won't be discontinuing coverage of community gardens that have existing policies, they will not take on any new community garden clients.  Guess its not profitable?
Judy Tiger, DC