Re: insurance

  • Subject: Re: [cg] insurance
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:05:46 EDT

In no way or form should this message be considered legal advice, which can only be given by a licensed practitioner in your area.

However...

Director's  & Officer's  Insurance?  Holy moly!

As a former corporate paralegal who was engaged in D & O Litigation on both sides of the fence, I think that it would be overkill for a not-for-profit community garden to engage in.

Generally D & O Insurance is for stockholder run companies that are in the position to be sued for financial misdoings, toxic waste dumping and the kinds of things that the folks who run Haliburton or a "Malefactor of Great Wealth" should go to the slammer for.

Unless you have an atty who insists on it, which I doubt, garden insurance protecting the usual mishaps that can happen in a not-for-profit garden should be sufficent.

And a garden form signed by all gardeners and keyholders, with a "hold harmless, at your own risk" phrase should cover you.

Litigious clients and their attorneys are like sharks - they can only feed where there is food, so if there is a basic garden insurance policy that should suffice - to give them a tasty D & O policy to feed on is being far too nice.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden