Re: Autumn CG/Organic classes

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Autumn CG/Organic classes
  • From: <scolli@columbus.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:53:11 -0400

Hi--that's a very high median income, more so in the Midwest and maybe
south than the coasts, and I don't know where you are.  Of course, a
community garden can exist anywhere...if land/garden space is not an issue,
there has to be other reasons why people want a CG to make it happen, and of
course there are many other reasons besides people having a lack of their
own suitable land.  Anyways...I've given garden classes, attended garden
classes, and coordinated garden classes year-round.  What I've found is that
there is a lull in learning about gardening from about September through
December.  People start getting hyped again in January, and I'm talking from
a Zone 5 perspective.  Even classes that are quite poignant for fall such
as...planting fall crops, extending your season, harvesting and what to do
with the harvest, getting your garden ready for winter or the new year's
growning season, crafty things with garden materials like herb wreaths,
drying flowers, etc....I found don't have the zing as they do in late winter
or spring.  It is only the gung-ho gardener that really works to extend the
gardening seaon by planting fall crops, using row covers and/or tunnels, or
using cold frames/hot beds.  However, I have found that any class where you
have hands-on activities, and things people can take home are the most
popular.  I have the opportunity to teach gardening classes at the local
high school's adult ed classes this fall, but because of my past experience
in fall classes I've decided not to take the chance and get low sign-up and
having to cancel the classes...I'm waiting until next winter/spring.
However, that is my community...yours may be different.

People with lots of money and little time may be more interested in calling
Turf Doctor to fertilize and herbicide their sprawling lawn, spraying
Round-Up along their fence line, and putting pre-emergent herbicide on their
perennial beds, than organic food gardening...but now I'm stereotyping, and
have no clue where you are or what the community you're in is made up of.
Good Luck!  I would love to hear how it turns out!

Shelly in Central Ohio

We are stardust *million year old carbon* we are golden *caught in the
devil's bargain* and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden .  .  .