Amman, Jordan community garden

  • Subject: [cg] Amman, Jordan community garden
  • From: Charli cholligal@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 07:43:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Some of you might remember me writing to the list
about a year ago regarding a community garden project
in a low-income neighborhood in Amman, Jordan. We've
been moving forward slowly but surely since then, a
little over a month ago three families planted the
first beds - about 90 square meters total - with
tomatoes, eggplants, beans, squash, and a variety of
herbs. It's a modest start garden-wise, but a big leap
for everyone involved in terms of community building.
I've been chronicaling the story of the project's
development through monthly articles in a local
magazine since October. Thanks to the Middle East
Travel Seminar the articles are now available for
download as PDF documents from:
www.metsprogram.com/habitat_jordan.shtml. You'll see
that this page is devoted to the METS partnership with
Habitat for Humanity - Jordan, whose participation in
and support for the garden project has been

Thanks to everyone for the input you've given to this
project - both directly to me and indirectly through
your postings here.

Charli Wyatt