correction re; pH and lead up take by plants

  • Subject: [cg] correction re; pH and lead up take by plants
  • From: "Karen Jones" k.jones@uwinnipeg.ca
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:59:44 -0500

Hi, Sorry, I should look at my notes before I send them. This is my
understanding of pH and lead uptake by plants. I am not a chemist either
but this kind of makes sense to me on the pH scale 7 is neutral, above
that is alkaline, below that is acidid. Lead becomes more mobile in acid
soils, when adding organic matter the pH decreases. Therefore adding
organic matter increases the mobility of lead in the soil. It is often
advised to add lime to soils that are high in lead , which increases the
pH. There fore organic composts shouldn't be used in soils with high
heavy metals of any kind. I would rather suffer the effects of lime
induced iron cholrosis and treat with a foliar spray than increase the
uptake of lead in our plants. This is one reason why we encourage the
interplanting of flowers. and non-edibles. Funding types want us to see
gardens as means to some other end (food security) but we see the
activity of gardening as a means in itself. If I am not understanding
something here. Please comment.   Thanks Karen