Mapping Minnesota GIS Workshop: Intro to GIS and CommunityAnalysis Workshop Announcement

  • Subject: [cg] Mapping Minnesota GIS Workshop: Intro to GIS and CommunityAnalysis Workshop Announcement
  • From: "Gina Clemmer" gclemmer@newurbanresearch.org
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 21:34:00 -0700

Mapping Minnesota Communities: An Introduction to GIS and Community Analysis Workshop - One Day Workshop

This fast paced, hands-on workshop teaches the fundamentals of how to use a Geographic Information System (ArcGIS 9.1) in a way that is particularly relevant to social service providers, planners and researchers. Participants learn to make thematic maps of their community, geocode addresses and perform spatial queries and analysis. Participants also learn to extract and map Census variables such as race, poverty, language, education, health and many other demographic variables.

When:        June 15th and 16th, 2006   8:30 am - 4:30 pm  (Note: These are one day workshops. Please choose which date is most convenient for you.)
Where:       New Horizons Computer Learning Center - 4510 West 77th Street, Suite 210 Edina, MN 55435
Fee:           $399 Checks, Credit Cards and Purchase Orders Accepted

To register online, check other locations, or for more info visit http://www.newurbanresearch.org or telephone us 877.241.6576.

Who Should Attend

Anyone who would like to learn, or refresh their skills, to use the mapping software ArcGIS 9.1. Anyone who would like to learn map community data. Exercises are designed for beginners. Intermediate Excel skills required. Each students is assigned a computer on which to work for the day.
Workshop Materials

Materials include a comprehensive workbook (75 pages), which includes the presentation, exercises and reference worksheets, ArcGIS (ArcView 9.1) software 60-day trial CD set, a subscription to the Planners' ToolBox subscription service which provides access to new 2004 Tiger/Line geography files (already converted to shapefiles) such as streets, zip codes, school districts, voting districts, census tracts and many other useful geographies. The subscription also includes Analyzing Your Community Workshop: Using the Census to Better Analyze Changing Places and People online web workshop.

Workshop Agenda

Lesson 1
Learn the basic functions of ArcGIS 9.1
Adding data and geography layers
Working with Layouts

Lesson 2
Introduction to Census Bureau's American Factfinder
Downloading Census and American Community Survey data to map
Downloading free geography files including tracts, zip codes, blocks and several others
Preparing Census tract data in Excel to import into ArcGIS
Lesson 3
Creating thematic (color shaded) maps to display data
Joining data with geography files
Working with legends and interval breaks

Lesson 4
Address mapping (geocoding)
Downloading free business addresses

Lesson 5
Performing location queries
Performing attribute queries
Creating target area shapefiles

Lesson 6
Elements of good maps including colors, fonts and map must haves
Critique of several maps

Praise for the Minnesota GIS Workshop:

Minnesota State Department of Transportation: "I would have to say this is one of the best software training classes I have attended. The instructor kept it fast paced and interesting."

League of Minnesota Cities: "This workshop was very informative. It gave me great ideas for how to apply GIS at work.."
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency: "Great. Good info and start for me to begin working with GIS. This class was enjoyable."

University of Minnesota-Boynton Health Service: "I found this workshop extremely helpful!"

New Urban Research, Inc. is a social research company located in Portland, Oregon.  For more information about the workshop, who we are and what we do, check out our website at www.newurbanresearch.org. New Urban Research, Inc. 3323 NE 33rd Ave Portland, Oregon 97212 -- 877.241.6576

If do not wish to receive announcements, simply reply with the word unsubscribe in the subject line. You will immediately be removed from the announcement list. Please note: Your privacy is important. Under no circumstances will we share your email address with anyone else.