Recommended: "Backstory: Green-thumbed guerillas hatchingsecret plots!"

  • Subject: [cg] Recommended: "Backstory: Green-thumbed guerillas hatchingsecret plots!"
  • From: ripley@iglou.com
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:18:19 -0400

ripley@iglou.com recommends this article from The Christian Science Monitor

Thought you all might find this article from the Christian Science Monitor interesting.  My apologies for any cross-postings.

Dawn

======================= ADVERTISEMENT ==============================

Smile, Laugh & Cry with Ode -
an independent magazine unlike any other. Visit:

http://www.OdeMagazine.net/landing.html?c1=news&source=CSMonitor

Click here to read this story online:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0523/p20s01-lihc.html

Headline:  Backstory: Green-thumbed guerillas hatching secret plots!
Byline:  Brendan O'Neill Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor
Date: 05/23/2006

(LONDON)In Stratford, in the farthest reaches of East London, a band of
guerrillas has taken over a plot of land. It's the wrong side of 11
p.m. on a hot, sticky night, the air heavy with rain that refuses to
fall. Passersby - some full of a night of revelry, others only now
dragging home from work - gawp at the guerrillas as they lay claim to a
patch ofground at the entrance to a small block of apartments.

"We have reclaimed it from the local government!" says a youthful,
ruddy-faced guerrilla, brandishing his "weapon" defiantly.

Another looks out for "the law," which might decide to barge in and
break up this miniature invasion of one of London's flattest, most
featureless suburbs, better known for having a big train station than
for underground activity.

What's going on? Why has this bit of East London gone all El Salvador
for the evening?

These are guerrillas with a difference. They're "guerrilla gardeners"
to be precise. Their weapons are shovels and trowels, and they plant
shrubs and chrysanthemums, not bombs. They're here to make green a gray
patch of land.

It's true: If ever two words didn't feel right together, it is
"guerrilla" and "gardener." The first conjures up images of Che-style
idealists with make-do weaponry and homemade uniforms launching
surprise attacks against a hated government; the second conjures images
of the retired middle classes daintily trimming hedges or adding dashes
of flowery color to beloved bits of land in front of their
semi-detacheds.

"We like the contradiction in the phrase 'guerrilla gardening,' " says
Richard Reynolds, erstwhile leader of the movement thathe kick-started
into existence two summers ago. Initially it was just him, on his
lonesome, carrying out "solo missions of horticultural regeneration."

"I saw neglected, orphaned land around the dual carriageways [divided
highways] of the Elephant and Castle [a big, smoggy, concrete
intersection in London] and decided to do something about it," says Mr.
Reynolds, an advertising account planner by day.

From these inauspicious roots, the movement has grown exponentially,
sprouting new chapters from Vancouver to Brussels and inspiring more
green-fingered do-gooders to venture out in the dead of night to
prettify ugly urban spaces.

The movement's aim is simple: to make public space more attractive.
Activities are organized via the website www.guerrillagardening.org.
Typically, a resident who's had enough of living in a cityspace where
things are vastly more gray than green, writes to the site and asks for
help. The guerrillas decide which cases are most pressing, then ready
"troops," and descend on a section of the chosen spot to sprinkle seeds
of hope and regeneration.

On this recent night in Stratford, 54 of the "green-fingered
terrorists" (Reynolds's words) are braving the humidity to transform a
walled-in garden in front of a block of flats that hasn't been tended
by local authorities for three years. It could easily, with a bit of
TLC, host grass and even flowers. By the end of night, the guerrillas
hope, it will. They are crammed onto the tiny plot, each digging,
weeding, and gravelling.

"We're taking responsibility for our city," says Amy Littler, an
actress, ripping some weeds from the earth. "This is about reclaiming
public space."

From whom?

"From whoever should be caring for it, but clearly isn't," she
declares. "They have left bits of the city to go to wrack and ruin, so
we are standing up and saying, 'No, that mustn't happen.' We are
bringing beauty back to the city."

This is a truly internationalist guerrilla group: James McMillan, a
young oil company employee now working in London, is from Australia.
He's come to Stratford to "put something back, I mean literally to put
something into the earth of this city. I get a kick from the thought
that ... a resident might wake up tomorrow and think, 'wow, someone
cared enough to plant some shrubbery outside my front door while I was
asleep.' "

Laura Galea, a Tasmanian studying in London, hopes her stint in
Stratford will "lift someone's spirits." A group of 15 American
Baptists are here to do a good deed during their tour of London.

Guerrillas believe this is as much political as horticultural, that
they're having an impact on society, even rejuvenating democracy. It's
reflected in their language, suggesting they're not only planting
shrubs but challenging authority. Reynolds refers to "sleeper cells"
waiting to "blitz our city with plants." Their "invasion" of Stratford
aims "to create a new democracy of gravel and sparse ornamental grass,"
to "liberate this patch from long-term miserableness."

Authorities tend to turn a blind eye to the nighttime antics, say
experienced guerrillas. And it's not inconceivable that financially
beleaguered local governments might even be grateful. Residents seem to
like the results, but they aren't quite transformed. Take Frances
Barrow, who lives near a guerrilla-makeover done last month. "Yeah, it
looks better," she says, "I hope somebody keeps it up."

Yet Karen Campbell, a senior consultant for the Union Baptist
Association in Houston pitching in this evening, sees this as a
religious experience: "We are redeeming a plot of land, and what a
powerful metaphor that is - to redeem land for the good of people. For
us, this is very much a Christian act."

As diverse people break dirt together and plant "seed bombs" on what
is, in truth, a pretty insignifi- cant plot,guerrilla gardening can
seem as much a search for meaning as it is an act of charity. It makes
Mr. McMillan feel "useful [and] important" as a break from the office
monotony. And for Ms. Galea, "it is better than just going out and
getting drunk, which is one of the only options for young people these
days. This is more enjoyable - and the effects last longer."

Perhaps guerrilla gardening is a response to the alienation of urban
life - the distance urban residents and workers can feel among the gray
monoliths owned (and neglected) by faceless bureaucrats. Guerrilla
gardening looks like an attempt not only to make cities more colorful,
but also to take symbolic ownership of them and make them more livable.

But guerrilla gardners make "a spectacle of civic duty," suggests James
Heartfield, an urban issues writer. "People are always doing good
things that make their cities nicer places, but they don't necessarily
advertise it or invite the media along to watch. These guerrillas seem
to want to make a statement about themselves and their values, as much
as to transform patches of urban land."

In Stratford, it's now after midnight. The plot is transformed: On a
budget of 264 ($500), weeds have been plucked, a ton of gravel laid,
the mud enriched, shrubs planted - and, if the locals care for them,
they'll bloom into full-on plants and flowers.

"Look what we've done.... We've made a small but important difference
in a big city" says Ms. Campbell.

It seems that both a patch of land and the guerrilla gardeners
themselves have been transformed by the night's experience.

(c) Copyright 2006 The Christian Science Monitor.  All rights reserved.

Click here to email this story to a friend:
http://www.csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/send-story?2006/0523/p20s01-lihc.txt

The Christian Science Monitor-- an independent daily newspaper providing context and clarity on national and international news, peoples and cultures, and social trends.  Online at http://www.csmonitor.com

Click here to order a free sample copy of the print edition of the Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com/aboutus/sample_issue.html

Sign up for the Monitor Treeless Edition!
http://www.csmonitortreeless.com?dmc=E35W191