Live Christmas tree

Fred Conrad Writes:

>can you give me some input on getting a christmas tree from a nursery which
>i have gotten the roots and all, hoping to plant in yard first of yr?

Let me give you a few principlkes that I would apply for such a situation:

    a. I would prefer a tree in a pot container and not balled and burlapped.
    b. The tree should be purchased from a reputable source. i.e. a nursery
and not a "fly by night" stand
      c. It should have become acclimatized to the pot. i.e. potted long
enough ago that it has become established in the
      d. It should be a tree that I would want on the property 10, 25, 50 yrs
from planting date.
      e. The pot should be large enough to sustain the tree as it is moved
into the drier  environment and usually hotter
          house environment.
      d. It needs a container under it to catch any drainage moisture from
the watering process.
      e. Don't place it into direct line or too close to furnace and air
      f.  Check soil moisture frequently, but should not stand in water.
      h. Ask the nursery owner about the tree in terms of history, special
care for inside and planting, etc..
      i. Follow usual and recommended procedure in outside planting.
      j. Particularly if it is an evergreen (conifer) do not fertilize for 1
yr. after planting outside.
      k. Heavy ammendment to the soil in the planting hole often hinders
roots spreading to surrounding area and soil
         which is more hostile to the roots.
      l. Don't plant the tree lower than its established level.
     M Smaller, healthy, vigorous trees are more successful than larger trees
as a general rule.
     N A windbreak from the prevailing wind side made of burlap or other, may
be necessary to protect the tree when it is
        planted outside.

These would be my main perameters.  Others may have other and/or better
suggestions.  Good luck and happy growing.

Elmer L. Morehouse