From: Honigman, Adam Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:47:20 -0500
To: community_garden@mallorn.com, jalling@pennhort.org
Subject: RE: [cg] FW: masters program in community gardens

I know of no "Community Gardens" masters program in the US, although a
course on community gardens may have appeared somewhere as an alternative to
"Basketweaving" or " Listening to FM Pop Radio: A Deconstructionist
Perspective." ;)
Seriously,   if you read through the the American Community Gardening
Association website,
 <http://www.communitygarden.org/> http://www.communitygarden.org/
you will garner the equivalent of a master's degree in Community Gardening (
of course you will not be able to give your orals, or have good karma for at
least a thousand cycles, without having officially joined the ACGA
<http://www.communitygarden.org/about/membership.html> . )
Go to:
<http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html#Studies>   where you will a
few of the mongraphs and articles that multidisciplinary scholars have
produced over the last few years to get an idea of what sociologists,
lawyers and agronomists think about community gardening.
On a personal note:  If I hit the lotto and can ditch my day job, I'd  glom
onto this program at the University of California, Santa Barbara ( a shrine
to organic gardening God Alan Chadwick) in a heartbeat:
Practically, Jane, looking at your curriculum vitae, I think that a Master's
degree in Public Administration with a strong concentration in urban,
suburban and rural planning & zoning would be apropos. Courses in political
science, US recreational and parks policy would be ideal followed
internships at the Trust for Public Land, a state/provincial legislator
interested in agricultural policy, followed by work at one of the better
agricultural extensions would make you eminently qualified, that is after
you take a law degree....
All for a job that pays, if you are lucky, maybe 40K. Your place in heaven
has been reserved for you :)
Bless you,
Adam Honigman