My Last Word on "Slow Food"

  • Subject: [cg] My Last Word on "Slow Food"
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 07:54:20 EST

Friends,

As the bulldozer drivers crank up their engines to excavate a number of NYC
gardens for luxury housing ( even in communities of color - who knows maybe a
new prosperity is coming) and the lines of our soup kitchens grows longer, I
don't think I'll be expending any energy on the "Slow Food" movement, any
time soon.

I wish community gardeners who want to spend  time with the "Slow Food"
movement well - however, please send in your ACGA membership first.  As you
won't be spending your money on "pizza and beer or Chinese take out" it
should be even easier to send in your $25 bucks to support a movement that
has been proven to build communities, from the ground up.

When you shop for your slow food, please look to your local farmer's market -
the real ones that have local farmers, not the ones with the fake hay and the
produce shipped in from 1,500 miles away.  You can tell this sometimes by
shaking a farmer's hand - they're usually rough-but the handshake is real.
Family Farmers are survivors and I've come to count many of them who come to
my neighborhoods Greenmarket as personal friends.

I'm pleased to say that many of the farmers who come to our Greenmarkets
accept foodstamps, providing an alternative for low income families and
seniors to the crappy grocery stores that usually serve the poor.  And I
can't tell you how many times I've seen a farmer throw an extra something in
the bag of a senior or somebody down on their luck at the end of a market day.

Buy local and stay warm this winter.  It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman