Re: slow food

  • Subject: Re: [cg] slow food
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:01:47 -0500

Oliver,

 There's been alot of discussion about "Slow Food"  here over the last few days. You may want to read some of the back and forth which should give you an idea of how the movement has been playing out here in the USA.

If Slow Food in the US grows to be more like the European model, then more power to it. I'm worried that by that time, at the rate we're losing our small family farms, at the rate that we're centralizing our agriculture ( most food in this country is trucked between 1200 - 1400 miles from agricultural hub to consumer), at the rate that we're using GMOs, at the rate that we're building housing on farmland, and a number of other dollar driven "rates", the cause will be lost.

I'm concentrating on saving our local farms by supporting farmer's markets, community gardening and trying to work on grass-roots democracy in a country that just gave President Bush a remarkable governing mandate.

Things just translate differently across the Atlantic. Here many of us work 50-60 hour minimum wage weeks just to survive. A social democracy where there's affordable housing (however ugly)universally decent education, universal health care, child care and intelligent provision for our senior citizens seems like utopia to many of us. For many Europeans, this has already happened.

I wish the movement well - but first they should community garden and work toward preserving our farms.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman