losing farms - broken promises and WATER

  • Subject: [cg] losing farms - broken promises and WATER
  • From: "a.h.steely" gfcp@mindspring.com
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:04:44 -0500

I just read the Dec. issue of MoJo, mother jones.  It has a number of
articles about WATER.  My city and the surrounding area went to the UNITED
WATER company.  Yuck is the word for the water sometimes.  We have barrels
from Y2k under the eaves and some stored in the basement but the price has
been increasing.

WATER is very important to city gardening and the Extension Service
coordinator from Phila. said that with the drought last summer the access to
the firehydrants was cut off or decreased at times due to low pressure.  How
are others around the nation dealing with this other shoe that falls on
vacant lot gardeners, first being the city taking back the repaired vacant
lot.

Sincerely,
Helen Steely
Harrisburg, Pa.