Dryland Rice Farming WAS Madame, I'm Adam, not...

  • Subject: [cg] Dryland Rice Farming WAS Madame, I'm Adam, not...
  • From: "Sharon Gordon" gordonse@one.net
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:28:17 -0500

> That piece from Japan on how to grow rice without flooding the field with
> water was fascinating. Never grew rice. Do any of the pros on this list
> if that method of rice cultivation would work in the US of A?

Yes, dryland rice(it might be irrigated, but not flooded) is grown in a
number of states in the US.  It's been grown at least as far back as Thomas
Jefferson's time when he imported dryland rice from a couple of different
countries to the US for experimentation.  He also risked his life to smuggle
some Italian rice seeds, but that's another story.

One other bit of rice info that people interested in food security might
find interesting is that traditionally there are weeds that grow in rice
fields that are valued as edible greens with lots of essential vitamins.
These are weeded/harvested and eaten.

In the demented modern system these weeds/greens are poisoned with the
result that the rice growers and their children are suffering from
malnutrition, blindness, etc. from lack of vitamins with the greens missing
from their diets.  So an expensive patented genetically engineered yellow
variety has been created to sell to rice farmers to "solve" this problem.
There is some concern that the vitamin levels of the genetically engineered
rice in conjunction with the large quanties of rice eaten may cause
overdosing of some of the vitamins, but I don't know the current state of
research on that.