Rocket Stoves

  • Subject: [cg] Rocket Stoves
  • From: "Sharon Gordon" gordonse@one.net
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:00:45 -0500

I've gotten a few questions about my reference to rocket stoves.

They are fuel efficient stoves which can be made from  a variety of substances from empty tin cans to metal piping to ceramics.  The most efficient designs make it possible to cook food with 1/3 or less of the wood normally used.  They help reduce deforestation, time spent gathering wood, and air pollution.

There is some information, diagrams, pictures, and efficiency information at the Aprovecho site:

If some of the community gardeners are interested in expanding their skills and want to grow some of their own cooking fuel, they could have fun with this.

Sharon