! Call to Protest Bulldozing of Hostos-Crimmins Garden

  • Subject: [cg] ! Call to Protest Bulldozing of Hostos-Crimmins Garden
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:16:54 -0500

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the members of the ACGA and other
folks subscribed to this listserve who called or wrote the NYC "South Bronx
Churches" (or other national affiliates of the Industrial Areas Foundation)
to rethink their decision to bulldoze the Hostos-Crimmins Community Garden
in the Bronx.

Things are rough for alot of  neighborhood greening and food security
volunteers these days (community gardeners are frequently both) so the
efforts that some of you made on behalf of this garden, hundreds and even
thousands of miles away are really appreciated.

The community that community gardening creates really extends past our
garden gates.  Thank you.

Alas, sometimes you get chicken...other times you get feathers (or in this
case, bulldozers).

This is a posting from Aresh Jahadi of the More Gardens! group in NYC about
the bulldozing of the Hostos-Crimmins Community Garden in the Bronx, NYC
that was posted on our local gardener's listserve this morning. There is
another Bronx community garden nearby, the "Salinas Community Garden" that
is endangered by the same group.  If you have the inclination, here are
national contact numbers to contact in addition to the local ones included
in the body of Aresh's e-mail:

 Please Contact:
> 1. Lee Stuart South Bronx Churches at (914)935-0110, fax (914)935-8811.
> Here are other IAF Affiliates to contact about telling Lee Stuart to do
> the Right thing:
> 2. IAF National Director, Edward T. Chambers,  220 W. Kinzie, 5th floor
> Chicago, IL 60610
> 312-245-9211    312-245-9744 (fax)
> 3 East Brooklyn Congregations, 287 Lott Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212.
> Phone: 718-498-4095.
> 4. Industrial Areas   Foundation, 36 New Hyde Park Road,   Franklin
> Square, NY 11010. Phone: 516-354-1076
> 5. Richard Harmon, supervisor IAF Northwest Region * 1244 NE 39th Avenue
> * Portland, OR 97232-1905
> (503) 235-6474 * fax 235-6457      e-mail: iafnw@hevanet.com  *
> Website: http://www.iafnw.com
> 6. Greater Boston Interfaith Organization (GBIO) 307 Bowdoin Street,
> Dorchester, MA 02122 (617) 825-5600 or (617) 822-1499, send us a fax at
> (617) 825-5400, or email us  office@gbio.org
> 7. Jonathan Lange-Lead Organizer 410-528-0305, 410-528-0316(fax)  2114-1
> N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD  21218  buildiaf@erols.com
Thank you,
Adam Honigman