RE: definition of community garden

  • Subject: RE: [cg] definition of community garden
  • From: "Jack Hale" jackh@knoxparks.org
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:32:46 -0500

Depends on your purpose for defining it.  Seems to me that once when we were talking about who should be in ACGA, the definition of community gardening turned out to be something like “people gardening together in public.”  Then there’s Adam’s bit about 50% gardening and 100% politics.  I always tell people the important word in “community gardening” is not “gardening.”  If you are talking to a potential supporter, the description starts to have words like “sharing, relationships, growth, community development, leadership, self-reliance,” etc.   It depends on the purpose of the definition.

JH