Sylva and Asheville

  • Subject: [cg] Sylva and Asheville
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:14:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi, all,

and hey James (and Jack and Sharon),

Great posts, all. ftr, my mother is from Franklin, NC,
and my aunt and uncle lived in Sylva. My Aunt Esther
Seay (my mom is a Seay) taught at Cullowhee. I might
not be here on this list if it weren't for summers
spent on the farm in Franklin, where I really learned
to garden - very healthy for a kid growing up in
L.A.'s San Fernando Valley. My family still lives in
Franklin (aunt and uncle and cousins) and elsewhere in
the mountains (actually, got an aunt and cousins in
Sylva).

James, you are right about Sylva. How it has changed
since I was a kid! And Jack and Sharon, you are right
about Asheville being a delightful town. Black
Mountain, just down the road, hosts a fantastic music
festival. As James says, the NC mountains are full of
good stuff. And I agree with the larger idea that all
'progressive' things are not limited to big cities.

James, good to hear about the community garden in
Sylva. Next time I'm up, I'd like to visit. Meanwhile,
if you are ever coming to Charlotte, drop me an email
and I'll show you what we've got going on down here in
the flatlands.

Where a guy from Greece drove up to the garden gate
today, hopped out, and insisted I come over to see his
garden, behind a strip mall. Never seen the guy
before. 15 fig varieties, a Greek prickly pear, all
kinds of good stuff - and he sent me back to the
garden with a pile of transplants, Greek greens and
dandilions (delicious greens). Another definition of
community gardening? btw, that community garden we
were working to get started this summer - with help
from this list - now has a long waiting list.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte, NC